Instant Pot® Boeuf Bourguignon
The bold, rich flavours of this hearty dish will have you and your family saying “delicieux”. Every spoonful is packed with simple ingredients like uncured bacon, crunchy carrots, caramelized onions, potatoes and of course generous chunks of grass-fed beef, all swimming in red wine and organic beef broth.
- 2 2 tbsp tbsp olive oil plus more to coat the pan as needed
- 6 6 slices slices thick-cut natural uncured bacon
- 3 3 pound pound grass-fed beef stew meet cut into 2" squares
- 1 1 yellow onion sliced
- 2 2 cloves cloves garlic minced
- 2 2 carrots chopped
- 1 1 pounds pounds yellow baby potatoes halved
- 1 1 tbsp tbsp fresh sage chopped
- 1 1 tbsp tbsp fresh thyme chopped
- 2 2 tbsp tbsp tomato pasta
- 2 2 cup cup Pacific Foods® Organic Beef Broth
- 1 1 cup cup dry red wine
- 1 1 bay leaf
- 4 4 tbsp tbsp grass-fed unsalted butter
- 1 1 pound pound cremini or white mushrooms sliced
- 1 1 pound pound pasta noodles cooked according to package directions (optional)
Set Instant Pot® to sauté. Once hot, add olive oil and heat for 1 minute. Add bacon slices and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
Transfer bacon to a large bowl and set aside. Working in batches, add enough beef stew meat to cover the bottom of the pot, and brown for 1 minute on each side. Transfer to the bowl with the bacon
Add the sliced onion to the pot, and sauté 2-3 minutes, until caramelized, then add garlic and sauté 1 minute more. Add beef and bacon back to the pot, and cover with sliced carrots, potatoes, herbs, tomato paste, and a generous pinch of sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Pour in beef broth and red wine, and gently stir to combine. Top with a bay leaf and seal the lid. Set to Pressure Cook for 45 minutes.
In the final 10 minutes of cooking, heat a frying pan over medium heat with half the butter. Add half of the sliced mushrooms, and sauté for 5 minutes, or until nicely caramelized on each side. Transfer mushrooms to a large bowl, and cook the remaining half. This will ensure perfectly browned mushrooms to top the stew with.
Once the Pressure Cook cycle is complete, leave the pot for an extra 10 minutes to depressurize naturally. Then, switch the valve to Vent, and once it is safe to remove the lid, discard the bay leaf and stir the stew gently. Optional: to reduce the sauce further, set the instant pot to sauté and allow to cook for 5-10 minutes more.
Serve the stew over prepared noodles, if using, and top with a generous scoop of mushrooms. Garnish with chopped parsley or other fresh herbs as desired.
Specifically Relevant Recipes
Grow better, farm friendlier,
act kinder. And repeat.